When you are considering cosmetic surgery choose a board certified physician. Dermatologists are board certified and have expertise in medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments.
Do your homework! Often times a non-physician or even a physician without proper training offer convenience in spas, shopping malls and walk-in clinics; yet lack the proper credentialing and can actually jeopardize your appearance and health.
Ask the right questions:
- How many procedures have you done?
- What results can I expect?
- What are the risks?
- What is the cost?
- Fillers using synthetic hyaluronic acid. These are commonly used to treat facial lines and wrinkles, hollow cheeks, receding chins, thinning lips and deep wrinkled forehead.
- Botulinum Toxin therapy initially showcased by a dermatologist and ophthalmologist (husband and wife) has been very effective in weakening the affected muscle to soften wrinkles in the face as well as lines of expression. A dermatologist can perform this treatment during a single office visit. The improvement last about 3 to 4 months or longer and can be repeated. Never agree to botulinum injections at some ones home, a non-medical spa, salon or party.
- Laser skin resurfacing procedure is designed to remove superficial and moderately deep wrinkles on the face. Laser works by directing a non-ionizing beam of light to remove superficial and deep wrinkles of the face. Depending on the type of laser used and its penetration will determine its healing time and the amount of discomfort to the patient. Laser can also be used to treat superficial blood vessels, capillaries, angiomata and venules. Healing is fairly rapid and can be repeated.
- Liposuction is a surgical procedure used to removed localized pockets of fat and contouring not responding to diet and exercise. Tunescent liposuction, developed by a dermatologist used local anesthesia and is the standard of care for this procedure due to its safety and effectiveness. Some of the aggressive approaches that are not recommended when selecting this procedure are:
- Extracting a large amount of fact
- Doing multiple procedures
- Using general anesthesia