As the warmer weather approaches we have to be vigilant about certain plants that we may come in contact with basically, three leaves beware.

Often times, a patient will come into the office with a rash that he feels is poison ivy and on questioning never came in contact with the plant or vice versa the patient feels that the rash may be associated with a drug or food allergy.

Let's first look at the basic principles concerning allergies, whether they be associated with contact or ingestion of drugs or foods. Physiologically it takes seven days for your body to process an allergy to a food, medication or plant. Your skin manifests the allergy with a rash. Thereafter once sensitive to a plant, food or prescription medication, it takes only two days after contact to breakout with a rash.


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.